My Latest Binge: The Good Place


TV reviews. The last time I did a blog on a series was over a year ago on 'The Office', and I think it's safe to say after rereading that one that I am certainly no TV critic. That being said, after watching all four seasons of The Good Place in the space of two weeks and during a mock exam season, it's safe to say I was pretty excited about telling people what the show was like. 

I wanna be really careful with this blog so that I don't expose or spoil any of it, it truly is a brilliant show with some absolutely amazing twists. For the record, the twist of the first season was actually spoiled for me in the same Tiktok that encouraged me to watch the show in the first place, and I still absolutely loved it. Even though the twists and surprises make the show, it's still extremely enjoyable when you're expecting them. I would actually recommend re-watching the first series after you find out the ending, it makes all the little details and clues that much more interesting. 

Enough about spoilers, lets talk about the show itself. Specifically, Chidi Anagonye (played by William Jackson Harper). Despite Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) being the main character, I actually found the character of Chidi a more satisfying protagonist. Not only does he simultaneously act as a moral compass to all of the other questionable characters, his chili-induced meltdown in season 3- don't ask- posed some incredible insights into the universe. As hilarious as the scene is, his insane debate with himself about the nature of the universe, death and moral consequence actually forces audiences to question their own beliefs. In the last few years I have questioned my religion and belief many times over and over again, and this tv show made more sense of my faith than all my studying, reading, documentary-watching and podcast-listening. 

If this show is starting to sound a little heavy or taxing, please don't be put off. In fact, part of the beauty of 'The Good Place' is that it has something for everyone. On one level it is extremely in depth, it poses moral questions about the afterlife, religion and the meaning of life, but its also just a really funny show about really lovable and developed characters. Somehow, despite there being four seasons, they manage to continually develop the characters, complicate the plot without it becoming impossible to track. Basically, in my opinion, its the perfect show. 

Do you want a show that challenges your mind and extends the limits of your knowledge and understanding about your purpose? Watch The Good Place. Do you want a show to make you laugh out loud alone on the sofa? Watch The Good Place. Do you want characters that are brilliantly lovable even though the main character is arguably the worst person on earth? Watch The Good Place. This is a show that will, in simple terms, restore your faith in humanity. It will prove to you, time and time again, that people are not inherently bad- but are instead human, able to change and grow and become better people. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts