Oceans 8: Rate or Hate?

 


Do you want a film that's a perfect mix between powerful female characters, hilarious dialogue and a healthy dose of badass? I've got just the thing for you. As a long-term Ocean's 11 fan, you can imagine my excitement when I cam across it's all female sister movie on Netflix. And let me tell you, I was not disappointed. 

Before I get into the amazing plot, characters or filmography; I need to take a moment to appreciate the absolute looks that this served us. As you can see below, the MET gala looks were drop dead gorgeous. Awkwafina looks stunning in this patterned mermaid dress, and Mindy Kahling shone brighter than the sun in that gold-sequinned number. But the look that really caught my eye was Rihanna. Nobody pulls off red like Rihanna, from the bold lip to to the seamless ruffles. Everything about this look is giving me life, which is ironic considering that it's to die for. 


Now lets talk about the cast, more specifically, the main eight. Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kahling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, Rihanna and Helena Bonham Carter. Absolute icons! As an Office and AHS superfan, seeing Sarah and Mindy did arguably make me a little biased to this movie. And the reviews about Helena's badly written character can't be ignored. This movie wasn't for everyone, and admittedly Helena Bonham Carter's odd character took a while to adjust to. But please do not write this movie off; Sandra Bullock was iconic and Rihanna was all the badass we know and love her for. 

Many critics have labelled the plot as slow moving with unnecessary scenes, and I can't say that it's the most well-written movie I have ever seen. At times it seems that they have fallen into the classic trap of an all star cast to play in a 1 star movie. Personally, on a whole, I enjoyed the movie. I thought the camera work was amazing, there were some nice twists I most definitely didn't see coming, and the end wasn't the end. This may all sound quite cryptic, but if thats what it takes to make you try this movie then I won't stop. 

So was it a rate or a hate? For me, this movie was a solid 7 out of 10, I really enjoyed it but a lot of people really didn't. And you'll never know which side you're on until you try. Maybe you will hate it. Maybe, just maybe, this could be your new favourite movie. 










Comments

  1. I am not going to say I hate it, but it is definitely not my favorite movie. I feel like it was too much (for me) but I do understand your points and your excitement. Rihanna is such a beautiful and powerful woman. I got to agree with you on that one for sure! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts