10 Things I Love About This Movie

 

            
                     
For me, this movie was the perfect mix of touching moments, funny jokes, sarcastic comments and strong female characters. When it first began I didn't know if I'd like it, Joseph Gordon-Levitt played an annoyingly doting guy whose only personality trait was crushing on a girl he'd never spoken to. 

That aside, after the first 20 minutes or so I found myself loving Kat so much that I couldn't even step away from the screen. Admittedly, when I read the summary and saw that it was based on Shakespeare's "The Taming Of The Shrew" I didn't exactly have high hopes. Who knew a 90s version of a Shakespeare play could be so damn good? At the risk of spoilers I won't say too much about the plot, but somehow they took a love story and made it realistic and interesting. 

Another one of the things I loved about this movie was the style, with 90s fashion making a comeback in the past few years, watching a movie from the era it all started gave me a lot of new outfit ideas. The 90s are definitely one of my favourite decades for movies, it brought us classics like The Parent Trap, iconic fashion staples like Clueless, even terrifying thrillers like Seven. In my opinion, 10 Things I Hate About You was no exception. 

If you're like me, the beginning might not capture your complete attention, but I really think it's worth sticking to, with an ending both satisfying and funny. I should probably apologise for how much this review has jumped around, but honestly it is just because there is no one element of this movie that sums it up well enough. Almost every part of this movie, from the actors to the plotline to the hilarious back and forth comes together to create a brilliant couple of hours. 

This movie wasn't perfect, but in many ways that was what made it so good to watch. Some of the characters were annoying and under developed, some of the jokes landed flat and some of the moments were cringey beyond compare. And I think that's probably what I loved most, I felt like I was watching an actual love story playing out, and it made it all the more engaging.      



Comments

Popular Posts