Film Review: We're The Millers

 


When I read the critics consensus- "We're the Millers squanders its potential with an uneven, lazily assembled story", I immediately didn't have high hopes. However, a quick look at the cast encouraged me to give it a chance. An SNL favourite, a Friends star and the Scream Queen Emma Roberts herself already made for a promising film, not to mention Kathryn Hahn. 

Overall I thought the film was really funny, admittedly, my expectations weren't high after a lot of the reviews were startlingly negative. That being said, in my opinion, the plot was good. As far as comedies go this was a classic, with a healthy helping of sarcastic comments and laugh out loud moments. The twists were relatively predictable but I think the movie more than made up for it in hilarious jokes and brilliant development of the characters. 

I particularly liked Jennifer Aniston's character Rose (aka Sarah), she was empowered yet real. Watching her felt like watching a real life, a real person, and it made the movie all that more interesting! 

In an attempt to not reveal too many spoilers, I won't summarise/ give away the plot- but if you're looking for a lot of laughs and a few good twists this is definitely the movie for you. The stereotypes were used in the best way, each feeding into their clichés in a spectacularly original way; the innocent 18yr old virgin, the sassy blonde, the strong 'mum' and the classic American dad that isn't so classic. 

Other than the big names and the hilarious dialogue, one of my favourite things about the movie has to be the ending. Not because I wanted the movie to end, but because it was such a satisfying ending to see all of the developed characters get their unconventional 'happy ending'. Between the laughs and the emotional moments, not a second of this movie was a waste in my opinion. I personally loved every second, and I think this movie truly has something for everyone. 





Comments

Popular Posts